ALOT of work got done this week, so much so that I didn't get to updating you all until Monday! Where to begin where to begin?
Ok so I decided that since the paper-craft left everything all polygonal (is that even a word?) and angular looking, I should try to smooth it out, and fiberglass isn't the best solution to that, on Helm 1.0 I had tried filling in some parts with stucco and it works, ok, but not enough for me to want to soak my helm in it, so I looked around the store and I decided to try Light Weight Bodyfiller, its right next to the fiberglass resin, and meant to be used WITH it when repairing car body damage. It only cost $8-$9 so I figured worst case scenario I fold a new helm and start anew.
I tested the filler on helm 1.0 to see how it acted and its a bit like slinging mud on the helm, the best way to apply it is to just sort of scoop it out onto it and smooth it with your hands once its set a little bit (within the time it takes to scoop it onto it it'll be ready) it sets within 5 minutes, so you have to work QUICKLY and with VERY SMALL AMOUNTS Unfortunatly I only have one in progress shot of this (top left), with the first little bit of the filler I applied to Helm 2.0, taken about 15 minutes after it was first applied, its already been sanded and (relatively) shaped how I wanted it.
I did the whole helmet in one sitting, took about 5-6 hours of mixing, applying and sanding. When I was done it looked nice and smooth from a distance(top right), but when you looked up close it was full of pock marks(left center), not very big, but make it look like well... MUD! I sanded some of them out, and made it as smooth as I possibly could, but it still looked like dried mud.
So I coated the filler in fiberglass hoping it would blur the bumps a bit, and it did help, but there were still obvious pock marks, so then I got an idea; mix stucco AND filler! That is, I used stucco to fill up the pock marks (right center), it worked out far better than I could've imagined! (note: Make sure you fiberglass before applying stucco!). I let the stucco dry, sanded it smooth again then applied a thin coat of fiberglass on top to make sure the stucco wouldn't flake later. Sanded a final time and I now have a helmet! (bottom left) I can't think of anything else I need to do to this other than paint.
Now that the helmet was made I tried it on and attempted to put the mask on with it (bottom right), which I don't know why I didn't do before, long story short: it worked! Sort of... The eye sockets are really deep, and were cutting into my eyes, I got it to a point where it would stay put but I couldn't keep the helmet on for more than 5 minutes, so a new mask is currently curing in my garage with shallower eye sockets (I broke the current one trying to make ITS eye sockets shallower).
In other mask and eye related news I might have a solution to the eye hole problem I was having, I found some see through yellow fabric, I'll possibly place 2-3 layers of it around the eyes so it can't be seen though from a distance but I can still see to some extent when I'm wearing it. Lucky for me masks are easy and (relatively) cheap to make so I can screw up as many times as I want
Now I'm onto painting the helmet, I'll experiment a bit with Helm 1.0 until I develop a technique I like for helm 2.0, expect a painted helm by this weekend! (now watch something screw it up so that wont happen xD)
TLDR: I made a helmet